Our National Philanthropy
The National Philanthropy of Sigma Psi Zeta is to combat violence against women in its varied forms. This includes, but is not, by any means, limited to the following: rape, incest, domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, exploitation, the trafficking of women and children, the abuse of migrant workers, intimidation at work, child abuse, harassment, and spousal abuse.
Through our combined individual and group efforts, we have demonstrated a commitment to education and cultural unity. Any kind of physical, emotional or mental duress constitutes violence. More a mission to educate and inform ourselves and our communities, Sigma Psi Zeta takes a preventive and proactive stance where violence against women is concerned, rather than simply provide philanthropic support.
To accomplish this, sisters:
- Volunteer at domestic violence shelters
- Volunteer at local womens’ centers
- Sponsor or attend conferences and meetings that empower women’s rights
- Lend support to women that need this specific type support and seek help for them
- Help to stop violations against female refugees and asylum-seekers
- Advocate for political causes that affect such demographics
- Attend and host self-defense workshops and classes
- Collaborate artistically and educationally with other women-of-color
- Donate proceeds of activities to organizations that support this same cause
- Organize collection drives and secure in-kind donations for local charities and DV shelters
By adopting this ethic within our sorority, we immediately become involved in a demographic that we seek to advocate for…one of the Asian Female. Historically oppressed by tradition and objectified in the eyes of the contemporary media to be physically powerless, emotionally isolated, and mentally voiceless. We encourage and empower ourselves as undergraduates and alumnae of institutions of higher education. Attacks are likely to happen at universities and colleges all across the nation.
Violence affects the lives of millions of women worldwide, in all socio-economic and educational classes. It cuts across cultural and religious barriers, impeding the right of women to participate fully in society. Violence against women takes a dismaying variety of forms, and constitutes a violation of basic human rights.
The sisters of Sigma Psi Zeta stand united behind our philanthropy, on both an organizational and individual level.